Monday, September 13, 2010

harvest time

Having bees this year has been so rewarding and inspiring. I have 10,000 little friends in my backyard that made this beautiful honeycomb, and they let me take 40 pounds of their honey. (i'm not saying they were happy about it though)




This video shows a bit of me getting the screens from the hive, and then us cutting the caps off and straining the honey through a pantyhose from the spinner. The pantyhose strainer looks like any number of organs. I didn't have a hard time waiting all summer to be able to harvest the honey, I had a hard time waiting for it to finish straining so that I could see it all lined up on my counter in jars.

6 comments:

amanda james said...

ok, you just made me and cubby want to get a beehive. That is so dreamy 40 lbs of honey? that is crazy! you could have a little shop at the farmers market...teach me beehive master!

Fife Family Forever said...

What on earth are you going to do with that much honey? Xmas presents?? I'm pretty sure it can be shipped to california...I'm just saying....Looks like fun Sarah.

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Would love to try some of the fresh honey!! Looks so cool!

this bright day said...

so so sweet.
oxo

Dirk said...

How lucky was I to get some of this honey today? Thank you so much. My pinky taste was the best and I can't wait to use it! Also, thanks for the Keller introduction. Those shoe photos were prime.... where is the mens section though?

Kristina said...

that is sooo cool!!
where are you selling the honey?
I want some :)
Viele Gruesse, KRistina