Tuesday, February 23, 2010

brother.

We lost my brother Jake last night. We are all shocked and heartbroken, but so thankful for the time that we had with him. He had a short but miserable bout with cancer where his body had a rare reaction to the chemo, and it just didn't allow him to survive. He was 38 years old, married to a wonderful woman Ali, and has six children ages 2-14. He was physically, mentally, and spiritually strong. Jake is an incredible example of what people should be.

Last night when his hearing was just about the only thing left working we were all able to say our goodbyes. Just before he passed we all crowded into his room and sang to him, it was an incredible experience that I will never forget. I am so thankful for my family. We have our share of quirks, but there are a million of us and I don't think there could be anything better than having that many people to rely on. We all love and miss Jake so much.
This is a video Jake and his son Spencer made while they were goofing off one afternoon a couple of years ago, it is the best.

11 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Such precious pictures. He was one in a million. I miss him so much already and my heart hurts. I wish he was here to be an uncle to our children. But I like to think that he is up there with our future children, and yours too. I love you so much.

Fife Family Forever said...

Sarah, so sorry to hear about the lose of your brother. It's so comforting to know that he is in such a better place and watching out for your family. Miss you, see you in a few months.

this bright day said...

sarah, i was saddened today. please know that i'm holding you close in my thoughts. love to you, david and your family.

Steven and Megan said...

I am sorry to hear about your loss... Our prayers are with you and your family.

The Obergs said...

My heart is breaking for you. I can only imagine the grief your family must be feeling. We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Grandma and Grandpa Mac said...

We are send you love and strength and the power of wonderful memories. Celebrate your life with him.
Peace, Love and Strength.

KM said...

Sarah I am so so so sorry. This is heartbreaking but I want you to know your in our prayers. Please call me if you need anything. Love you.

Alisha said...

We are so sorry. We will be thinking of you and your family.

katie and heidi said...

Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Tracy Peterson said...

Sar, I am so sorry about your brother. He seems like an amazing man. That video is so precious. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. I love and miss you so much!

karlin said...

sarah- i'm so sorry! my heart sincerely hurts for you and your family. there is nothing worse than the loss of a loved one. it's not easy.