Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Falling Water

Last Thursday we visited the holy grail of Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture. I saw a video about it when i was thirteen and have been dying to go ever since. We learned so much, and it was even better than i had imagined. Frank's attention to detail is incredible. Every light switch, shadow, angle, color, shelf, and stone were all created and put together so harmoniously in his designs. He ensures that the interior compliments the building by designing built-in furniture for most of the house.

Falling Water is also Frank's ultimate example of buildings being synonomous with nature. Not only is the home is now part of the waterfall, the color of the building was specifically mixed to match the backside of the leaves that surround the house, and the rock for the entire structure was quarried from the property itself.

7 comments:

mylyn wood said...

oh.so.jealous.
you & david have the coolest adventures.

Anonymous said...

i learned about that house in Mrs. Ekhouts (sp?) class. Maybe she taught us more than we give her credit for... nah..

Grandma and Grandpa Mac said...

His house have a beautiful and peaceful feel to them. Do you know about Taliesin West in Arizona? How about the Don M Stromquist house in Bountiful? Thanks for the great photos and reminding us of our love of his work.

katie and heidi said...

What?! You went without me! I'll forgive you.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I stumbled across your blog and I have to say that your pictures are so pretty. And I noticed your boots in the pictures. I love them! Where are they from, if you don't mind me asking?

Anonymous said...

never mind, they look like a pair of frye boots that I found!

Azy said...

hey i know this house! i have seen this house in many a magazine/books & look there you are in the same picture of the house. thats is rad! i love it!