Tuesday, June 7, 2011

bees






there was a tradgedy in april.
our bees were doing well and healthy, buzzing around, they still had honey in their box from last year, but on top of that they were drinking a full can of sugar water every two to three days.
then-one day.....dead. all of them.
someone in our neighborhood somewhere sprayed pesticides and it killed all of our bees.

it was really sad to clean out their box, but i am so amazed at how gorgeous their honeycomb is every time i see it. we are keeping the screen from that top picture to frame it. do you see the leaf that is hidden in there?
we got new bees a few weeks later and they are doing well. it sounds crazy, but i don't feel like i have as strong of a connection with them as i did with my other 10,000 friends.

moral to the story? don't use poison in your yard, it kills more than your weeds.

5 comments:

Azy said...

that is tragedy.. i think i told you before that chris's dad has bee's too they really are so beautiful & sad when something goes wrong :(

Zsara Louise said...

i really want to keep bees someday - they are amazing creatures. that must have been so saddening clearing out the hive. so sad.

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I didn't know about your bees.. so sad! Can't wait to enjoy some of the honey harvest this year, though. I used some of your honey in a salad dressing I made the other day and it was good!

carissa said...

thats really sad... one day, when we dont live connected to other houses, i would really like to have bees.

nova said...

NOOO! In our neighborhood there's dead bees everywhere, I think for the same reason. It kills me every time I see them lying there. It's not fair! Bees HELP flowers!