Saturday, April 17, 2010

a few white aspens


Before you read this you should know that david has a select few white hairs on his head. they are growing in number, but are still few enough that he has them named and numbered.
the first one was Captain Grayskull,
second was Gandolf the Gray,
third was Graystone Pines (the name of the condo complex my grandma lived in).
He has quite a few in his beard, but the two prominent ones on either side of his chin are collectively called White Fang.

David's beard gets pretty burly sometimes, he always has food and bits of somethingrather in there. Last night i spotted something and told him he had food in his beard. he grabbed at it a few times, asking "did i get it?" I was laughing because whatever was in there was huge, how could he miss it? i grabbed it out, and it wasn't food, but a bit of paper folded up with writing on it.

How does a folded up piece of paper with writing on it get stuck in your beard? Who's paper was this? I was so curious, so i hurried to unfold it to see that it was david's handwriting. and it read:

Greetings from the foliage of the follicle forest.
A few white aspens amongst black pines.
Where every now and then a foreign object burrows,
And the forest is ruled by the white fang,
And nothing is finer than a breeze through the treetops
from the breath of my beloved.

After laughing for a good amount of time i asked david what inspired him to do such a thing? he said he was thinking about how i always find things in his beard and how it would be fun if i could find something that i liked in there, a surprise--and the idea came to him. So he wrote the poem, rolled it up, put it in his beard, and waited ever so patiently 'til i noticed.

7 comments:

The Obergs said...

hahahah, that is AWESOME! Taylor always has stuff caught in his beard too, usually milk, cereal, or a string of cheese... never a poem. Maybe one day I'll get a little surprise too.

Mike and Kim said...

It really is quite easy to have a big piece of food stuck in your beard without realizing it, because the item doesn't touch your face and so no nerves are triggered, unless it weighs enough to tug on the hair follicles. And if it weighed that much, it probably wouldn't stay in your beard for long without falling to the ground.

When I had a subscription to Disney Adventures magazine there was an issue on pirates, and it talked about how the food that was dried in their beards could be eaten when they were running low on supplies.

Steven and Megan said...

Oh that is the the most sweet, funny thing ever! haha made me smile :)

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

That is too funny!!! Maybe I should start naming Ryan's gray hairs!

Bart Winward said...

Aaaarrrghhh...there's always a pirate on me beardship!

I always say that gray hair is better than no hair! At 29 years old I have quite a bit of gray and I have learned to embrace my grayness. I only have it on the sides and in my beard, but it looks like I use "a touch of gray."

This story reminds me off my mission. I had a few black companions and I used to pick long skinny weeds and throw them like a dart into their hair. It always seemed to nestle deep into their thick curly hair.

While I loved mess with their hair, they also loved to play with the hair on my arms. Most black people don't have hairy arms, but black kids loved to touch our arms and feel the soft hair. I never realized our arm hair was so soft until I went to Africa. I bet whoever reads this will be rubbing their arm hair.

Steven and Megan said...

My beard has never gotten that long. I always know i need to cut it when I am eating an ice cream cone and Zoe asks for an Ice cream kiss. That or I blow my nose and there is mustache of snot...

Azy said...

ha ha HA! that is one of the funniest things ever! chris is jealous and wishes he could grow a similar beard... love it