Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On top of Spaghetti

Do you ever have those moments where you are amazed at the speed your brain can process things? Like when you smell something and are instantly transported back an experience that was so long ago, but your brain remembers that smell and can correlate it with a very specific memory or a general feeling instantly...

David is home sick today. Being the good little wifey that i am i thought i would try out a couple new recipes and have a mouth-watering lunch for him when he wakes up from his nap. Despite a few minor set backs, everything was going well. I was onto the finishing touches of lunch, some toasted pecans to top off the dish. Then i forgot about and burned a sheet of them in the oven. Then i forgot about the second batch i attempted to toast, and burned them too. But still cheerful i dumped the last of the bag of pecans onto the cookie sheet, making mental note that this time i should stay right next to the oven until they are done. They were looking perfectly toasted, and the oils were sweet smelling when i went to take them out of the oven. Before i knew it i had burned my hand, and the last batch of pecans were mid-air and on their way to the ground. In an instant (in fact i am sure that some of the pecans had not even hit the ground yet), without my knowledge my mouth whistled the most melancholy tone a line to to On Top of Spaghetti.
"I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed."

I haven't heard that song for years, but my brain pulled it out of the files, accepted my defeat, and sang a song about it before i had even realized what was happening.

I thought it was note-worthy.

2 comments:

The Obergs said...

the first thing that pops in my head after I burn my hand is definitely not a song. Kudos to you for having a better reaction than most people.

By the way, I love your new look. Nothing says change like bangs.

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Thanks, now that song is stuck in my head!!