Thursday, August 23, 2012

....aaaaand we're back

The end of winter and spring were first trimester for me.

The word that sums up first trimester for me: food.
My life revolved around the eating of of it, loving of it, hating of it, and trying not to throw it up.
The heartburn came a few days after baby was conceived,  I felt like I was breathing fire. It has only gotten worse since. Now a days I am breathing fire all day and night.

On superbowl sunday I think I single handedly  ate an entire crock pot of lil smokies that were wrapped in bacon and swimming in brown sugar glaze.

One night we were on our way up to sundance  to see a movie and I reached down in that crevasse between the seat in the car and the center consul to get my phone that had slipped down there. Instead I skewered my finger on a floral knife that was hiding.  Because of the way my hand was I had to slide it out rather than just pull it out of the crevasse, so it slid the blade through my finger sideways.  The cut wasn't even that bad, but I lost it.  I was cradling my finger and crying and I made david drive to three different gas stations until he found band aids.  Then we got to the movie and all I could think about were Dorito chips.  I knew that night that I was pregnant, and it was just a waiting game until I could take the test.

I had always imagined the moment I would find out that I was pregnant.  I always wondered if it would be earth shattering. Would I scream? Would we cry?  We both just laughed and were like "welp, what now?" We went on with our evening as usual. David went to play basketball with friends, and I went to the gym.

I didn't get sick until six weeks to the day.  I woke up that morning and felt like I had been hit by a train, and like I was having a hangover.  Lights and noises were unbearable, and I couldn't really move. We were in Vegas at the time so it was pretty rough.  I just put sunglasses on, ignored everything around me, and tried to survive.

The next few months were spent mostly at home on the couch propped up perfectly so that I wasn't sitting up far enough to puke, or laying down far enough to get heartburn.  Or-in the bathroom sitting against the cabinet staring at the toilet.  The first day I actually threw up I got sort of excited, it felt real!
I had to go to an appointment with a new client like five minutes later.  Fortunately most of my work in the spring can be done at home, so it wasn't too bad unless I was out and about.

We didn't really believe it was real til we went to the mall at nine weeks to get an ultra sound.  I wasn't going to tell family for a long time, then I made the mistake of telling a friend that could have potentially told my parents before I did.  I panicked and we went to the mall to see if there really was anything there so we could tell them before she did.  We saw our baby for the first time at South Towne  mall, right next door to forever 21 in what wasn't even a real room with walls...it was pretty much a closet.  If was one of the highlights and simultaneously the lowest moments of our life thus far.  I was so worried nothing would be there and then I would have to walk out of the mall between clusters of annoying teenagers while crying that I wasn't really pregnant.

We told the rest of our family we were pregnant on April fools day.  It was pretty great because they of course thought we were joking, and then we got to watch them realize we were serious.

We managed to get away to santa barbara for a few days in April, I think I was about 15 weeks in these pics. You can't really see much except for the pleats on my dress, but my stomach was already changing shape.  I look like death, I didn't feel good, it was windy, but we were in a garden of the prettiest roses i've ever seen.









4 comments:

Alyce said...

Ah, so excited for you two! We've been on a similar journey with our first little one due the end of next month! It's been a wild ride of ups and downs, things that I keep saying I need to get down into a journal. Maybe this weekend I will finally sit down and so.

curtis+ash said...

You will be such a beautiful mother. I'm so excited to see how yours and David's lives will change in the most perfect and happy of ways. Congrats Sarah.

mylyn wood said...

i am so thrilled for you and your family! that is one special baby. Congratulations!

chelsea b james said...

you poor poor soul. Hang in there soldier. Once the little one is born, you will forget your worries and all the sick days will melt away. are you on any medication? i cant believe you are working too! i was on a death bed with both pregnancies and i vowed never to do it again, but then i forgot...